Indicators that you may have a leak.
A home's water service line can develop a leak. Although such leaks may be difficult to detect, there are some distinct signs which may indicate a leak in your service line as follows.
- Decreased flow or a noticeable loss in water pressure within your home.
- Water bills that indicate unexplainable, increased water consumption.
- Wet spots in your yard between the meter location and your home or water seeping into your basement or crawl space near your water service line location.
- Sounds of running water or hissing coming from your main water shut-off valve at a time when water is not being used in your home.
To Determine whether you have a leak.
- Turn off the main water shut-off valve located inside your home.
- Go outside and check your water meter.
- If the water meter is turning, you have an underground leak and should contact a plumber.